Author Topic: Barn burner of a thread  (Read 22707 times)

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
Barn burner of a thread
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:10:36 am »
Woooo doggie, that FB3 thread on the Pangolin, I mean PhotonLexicon forum is a doosie.  :)  I'm not going to comment since I don't have a dog in that fight but it's good for getting out the popcorn and reading.  :)

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: Barn burner of a thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:02:31 pm »
Yes. I read some of that.

It simply a matter of fact.

If you look at ANY laser scans made by a Pangolin device with the blanking swithced out, you will see the Pangolin Beam Dump moving around all the time.

That super bright hot spot is at the end of every frame and it is always blanked out.

It's right there in front of your eyes!

LOOK AT IT!

How can you possibly get 100% of your lasers output power if your lasers are OFF for such an obviously long period of time between every frame?

You can't!

On the other hand, a sound card DAC can stream a continuously lit series of samples.... well... forever!

That is most definitely 100% laser power!

DUH!

Honest to God, that was one of my happiest motivations for developing my sound card software. I knew the Pangolin Beam Dump was a HUGE waste of energy and I knew I would never have to do it like that!

WORD!  ;D

BTW LaserBoy can read waves made from recording a Pangolin DAC and do a very good job of reframing the vector art.... based on finding The Pangolin Beam Dump between every frame.

James.  :)

PS. Whenever I try to read stuff posted by Pangolin and his supporters, I just can't make it through the drivel. I get into the first couple of sentences and realize that it is SO off the issue and full of bullshit nonsense that I just can't force myself to pay attention.

I have NEVER seen him directly answer a question that was a challenge to his knowledge or his technology. We are all supposed to just take his word as the infallible, unquestionable truth.

If Bill Benner is a master of anything it is in completely avoiding the issue and turning his dim-witted (dim-laser'ed) disciples against the OP who has a perfectly valid and true statement to present.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:38:46 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 05:43:50 pm »
I was really surprised to learn that the FB3 has no buffer or double buffer.  I must be missing something, though.  It has to have something to buffer and clock out the points.  I wonder how it works.

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:20:35 pm »
I don't think it does.

I think the hot spot comes from the fact that the DAC has to go into a coma while the DSP is doing the vector math to figure out the next frame.

James.  :)
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Lazerjock

• Milliwatts: 8
  • Laser @ Universal Studios Fl Spiderman ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:30:15 pm »
I read the PL post today over my lunch break.

Holy Crap!! Talk about tense.

I felt like any moment the nuke would go off.

Offline meandean

• Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:41 pm »
  Judas Priest!!! There's some good stuff on that thread. Being a cheerleader of modified soundcard DACs, wave and all that crap, I'd like to post something on that thread (I'm not sure what I would even say), but I sure as hell don't want to get mixed up in that mess, so I'll just fix some popcorn and enjoy the show... ;D
"Patience is for the dead."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal