Author Topic: 3D DXF import  (Read 16918 times)

Offline daderaide

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
3D DXF import
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:05:26 am »
I trying to import a 3D file into laserboy to be converted to ILDA. I have tried several different DXF formats and none of them import correctly. The files show up perfectly in many CAD programs including Blender, Sketchup, and ViaCAD (which is where the file was created originally) but they get flattened to 2D and the shapes are all mixed up.

To be honest I'm not even sure if Laserboy supports 3D files. I'm having a really hard time getting a 3D image into a 3D ILDA file. ILDSOS doesn't import them correctly either. I'm assuming that's because they use some of the same conversion code. My end goal is just to have an alternative to trying to use the the drawing program in LSX (PicEdit) which is absolutely TERRIBLE for trying to draw in 3D. It's almost impossible to use. But it seems there is no way to import a 3D file :-/ Anyone know how this can be done?

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: 3D DXF import
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:42:56 pm »
LaserBoy only knows how to import some of the ENTITIES of DXF.

It can do:

POINT
LINE
CIRCLE
ARC
ELLIPSE
POLYLINE
LWPOLYLINE
TEXT

It only reads the stuff in the ENTITIES section. You can open the DXF file in any text editor and read it as plain text.

It should be able to do all of these in 3D.

It does not support SPLINE.

ildSOS is built on an older version of the LaserBoy base code and it has a kind-of 2D SPLINE added to it.

I hope this helps.

Can you send me an example frame in DXF?

Also note, you can draw in 3D in LaserBoy!

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=551.0

James.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:59:01 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal