Author Topic: What's up with Mac OSX?  (Read 8456 times)

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
What's up with Mac OSX?
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:24:32 pm »
Seriously... If you know enough about Mac OSX to be able to do cool things with it, then why would you pay all that extra money for hardware that is made just by one company so you can run UNIX with the Mac GUI, when you could do it better and cheaper with generic computer hardware and Linux?

Someday all of humanity will realize that no one should have to pay for this stuff. It's knowledge.

It's not really free anyway. All of the cost is in the time it takes to lean it. It's a lot like reading, writing and arithmetic. As a matter of fact, it is R W & A!

UNIX is the way and Linux is free.

James.  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:39:49 am by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Agent C

Re: What's up with Mac OSX?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:29 pm »
Let me start by saying I'm the furthest thing from a Mac zealot.  I don't own an ipod or an iphone.  I bought a powerbook in Jan 2004 because I considered it the best laptop available at the time, and I don't think I was wrong.  I've been through quite a few laptops, most fell apart after 24 months.  All were plagued with weird windows drivers issues from day one, etc.  My powerbook is running strong to this day - a little slow but it runs like a clock.  No driver problems, reliable, well built.  It's like my '87 mercedes - slow by today's standards, but it's built so well and just works. 

On the software side, OS X is a commercial unix that my dad can use, so it's commercially successful.  I don't want my parents trying to run Ubuntu or Gentoo because I don't want to be their tech support.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal