Author Topic: ILD SOS 1.2.05  (Read 55869 times)

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILD SOS 1.2.05
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 12:08:08 am »
and the ilda test frame only looks weird to test the balistic circle

Nope, the blanking tests also look weird, that is their purpose.  Read this, young padawan:
B1 and B2
http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.LaserFX.com/Systems/Scanning1.html

If you play a SOS optimized file as-is, it should look correct, if the offsets are tuned properly in your playback system.  Some DACs have built-in offsets (RIYA, Pangolin), others don't (EasyLase) so it's up to the show software to do it.  If the show software doesn't do it, then it can still be corrected for with SOS.

These tests were originally developed for scanner (galvo) blanking. They can be used for adjusting any type of blanking.
If you software offers this feature, adjust the blank timing or blank shift slider to get the blanking point B1 roughly correct. Then, adjust the gain, offset and damping of your blanking device (if you use scanner blanking).

This paragraph from the link you posted tells me you are incorrect!

If the system in use employs "scanner (galvo) blanking" then there is no reason to assume that the will be any time difference between the "colors" and the scanners. They are ALL scanners!

This file is correct. There are no "written-in" color to position time corrections; only obstacles that expose improper timing.

James.

PS. I will refrain from calling you something demeaning....   ;D  O0

PSS. When I started my LaserBoy project I had a blank text editor to look at. I know where 100% of my code came from!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:57:14 am by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline drlava

• Milliwatts: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 01:01:52 am »
1) When your on-screen display is different from what the pattern should look like through a projector, that  ==  'look weird'.

2) In a world where no one uses galvo blanking anymore, offsets must be applied to display that pattern correctly.  SO, assuming the playback software or DAC applies those same blanking offsets to every ilda file loaded, the result is that some of the files might 'look weird' in laserboy to be displayed correctly with the projector.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:06:17 am by drlava »

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:09 am »
"Looks weird" ... yes, sure. But not for the same reason as deliberate color to position offsets.

I think that is what Alec was asking.

James.  :)
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline BlinkenLights

• he's just this guy, ya know?
  • Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 4
  • 'The Messenger' by Will Cascio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 08:14:08 am »
ok well ILDA files are for art exchange, not playing in your projector.. in the ilda file it should look as close to 100% correct as possible.

correcting a file to work with a specific system then calling that corrected a file a ilda file is preposterous. that corrected file can not be UN fucked with by an end user. Thats not a very good idea.. well its a GREAT idea, just dont call it an ilda file..
THATS a great example of a SOS file
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:42:35 am by BlinkenLights »

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:27 am »
Alec, I would argue that what you stated is only your interpretation.  If you read the ILDA spec it never states it is for art exchange or that frames should be pure images. 

I am posting a section from the ILDA spec in the other thread. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:35:51 am by Hyena »

Offline BlinkenLights

• he's just this guy, ya know?
  • Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 4
  • 'The Messenger' by Will Cascio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 08:46:50 am »
The International Laser Display Association has developed an “image
data transfer
” format, used to exchange frames between systems. You
can obtain frames from any program with an ILDA conversion program,
and transparently load them directly into any system that supports
ILDA standard frames. Similarly, you can save frames in ILDA format,
to sell or trade with users of other systems
that read ILDA format.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:01:57 am by BlinkenLights »

Offline drlava

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 12:19:21 pm »
ok well ILDA files are for art exchange, not playing in your projector.. in the ilda file it should look as close to 100% correct as possible.

Most ILDA files have some sort of correction, otherwise they would not have dwell points.  It's all about the degree of optimization in a file, and it is possible to optimize it so tightly to a projector that the same file won't look right on another projector.  But the standard does not go into details about that.  The only 'official' documentation we have to go by is their published ILDA file - which IS in fact intended to be played directly by a projector.  This is why they call it 'transparent' - no more modifications need to be done.

Offline drlava

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »
So it is fully appropriate to optimize and point reduce frames and save them as ILD files, but it is the DEGREE of optimization that determines how easily others can use them in their systems.  And as I stated at the beginning, to stick with the standard don't share files with blanking offsets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal