Author Topic: Review of Brass Housing with 405-G-1 Lens from Laser66.com  (Read 26173 times)

Offline Alfa Romeo

• Milliwatts: 11
    • View Profile
Review of Brass Housing with 405-G-1 Lens from Laser66.com
« on: November 07, 2009, 02:08:44 pm »
First off I'd like to say 'Watsup' to all of you! and thanks for all the Awesome brain food!

This post is my opinion, experience and thoughts. No offense is intended. Your mileage may vary!

I've been building my first RGB scanner since about Feb 2009.
My goal is to be fully CDRH compliant and certify it with FDA. (WOW what a reality check there!!) More on the Build, etc later in another post.

So here i am with 3 lasers, with very different beam profiles, sent to Scanpro20's 6mm x 11mm mirrors. 6mm input mirror at 45 degrees = effectively 3mm tall mirror

Green 532 Labby
 50mw 418ma 2mm beam, nice beam profile. divergence looks great.

Red 650 LPC-815 sled extract in Aixis housing with Aixis glass lens.
 435ma 5mm beam, way to big for scanner mirrors. would like it to match the Green beam. divergence issues.

Blue 405 SF-AW210 sled extract in Aixis housing with LSP-BluRay GLASS Lens.
 225ma 6mm beam. Way to big for scanner mirrors. would like it to match the Green beam. divergence issues.

I want the beams to look similar in diameters (3mm or less) and divergence for close and far projections!

While running the forums for brain food, Jayrob has this 405-G-1 in an Aixiz lens barrel for red/bluray with good reviews. I wanted to try this lens, but the Aixiz housing/lens thread issues was just downright sloppy. (Teflon tape , springs, grommet and o-rings coupled with focusing issues, this module was a bummer.)

Another choice is a new brass hi tolerance thread lens nut with 405-G-1 installed. I thought I would  get the lens only and put it in a lens housing myself.

EBay's LASERS4U, best price 25.00 for a lens, WAIT!,  whats this, the lens and complete new style housing designed for the 405-G-1 lens, no wobble, built in O-ring to seal the laser, brass, shorter, knurled nut and the 405-G-1 lens installed, for 40 bucks!! That's less than a modified lens nut! I have never seen this before. Its 10.5mm diam, while my heat sinks are drilled for 12mm housing. bummer, i'll deal with this (bushing, new heat sink) issue later.

I ordered 1 housing with lens for 40 bucks, (later bought lens only and empty housing for 34.00 on auction) free shipping. Shipped from Walnut Creek, Ca. to Tacoma, WA. took only 3 days! Packaged properly. I was ready to switch housings. Pulled the diode from the old housing, removed the new lens Assy (this felt real nice and tight), and pressed the diode into the recessed seat on the new housing, making sure it was all the way in.

With a little work, the Aixis tail housing is/was pressed on the new brass housing then slid back into the 12mm heat sink, locked down and reinstalled on the mounting plate. Later removed to setup new heat sink at 2 x 10.5mm for dual diode (red/bluray) + TEC's phase of project.

After setting up the red and focusing this module i could tell right away that the back focal length required a very precise point at which the focus was achieved!

OMG, this setup is SMOKING!! Red beam diameter is 2.6mm at module exit!! divergence at 20 feet, was the same as my green module!! bluray setup 2.8mm at exit also matched green at 20 feet! See pics for all 3 dots/lines at 20 feet, see for yourself!!

The project took several advances from here, like Setting up the TEC layout with dual reds and dual blues, but for now i will summarize this review.

I am sold on these, I will use these modules/lens for my project
Will at Laser66.com was great to work with. Thanks Will!

My conclusions:

PRO's
1. Awesome beam profile
2. Nice workmanship, machining, / feel
3. Diode sealed with O-ring
4. Perfect for dual diode setup, nice and small housing
5. Awesome price

Con's
1. Any wobble would screw up the focus, I mean ANY wobble! There was a small amount for which I needed to add 3 O-rings for red (2 on blue) on shoulder behind focusing ring to totally eliminate the small wobble. I do not think this is a major issue, but it was issue that needed to be dealt with and shared with you.

I will attach photos in another post.

Later, from the quiet guy in the back row!

Pat Allen
Tacoma Washington

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:24:07 pm by Alfa Romeo »
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.
Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Alfa Romeo

• View Profile
Re: Review of Brass Housing with 405-G-1 Lens from Laser66.com
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:13:45 pm »
2 shots of the Beams at 20 feet away.
2 shots dual reds

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:24:29 pm by Alfa Romeo »
Ozzy Osbourne

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:32:50 pm »
This is exactly the kind of stuff we all need to know!

Thank you for spending the money to do the research and for sharing your findings.

These are the best beam specs I've ever heard of coming form a red or a BluRay

BTW You take awesome pictures!

I want to build an RGV system too.

This information is invaluable.

James.  :)

PS. Not to split hairs, but 6mm at 45° is about 4.24mm.

6mm / sqrt(2)

Sorry. I can't help it.  %)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:50:04 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »
Where can I buy these things?  Do you have a link?  I'd need to make some red and blu-ray lasers and would like to have a thin beam.

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:03:31 pm »
laser66.com

James.  :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:07:52 pm by James »

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:52:07 pm »
I guess I am dense.  Part of it is the vicodin I have been taking for my tooth.  But, I have no idea what case and lens to buy.

Offline drlava

• Milliwatts: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:04:12 pm »
yes these are the same glass blu ray lenses that jayrob is using in his aixiz nuts.machined brass, pretty high quality. Glad you like 'em :)

Offline Alfa Romeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:03:28 pm »
thanks for the correction james!

the modules are available on ebay, from seller lasers4u.

http://myworld.ebay.com/lasers4u/

i have not seen them on his web site.

Pat
Ozzy Osbourne

Offline dtewksbury

• Milliwatts: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »
Does anyone know if these lenses and barrels are still available, I just checked eBay and I can't find them?

Offline Alfa Romeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:59:05 pm »
yes the modules are still there. he has many units. as each unit is sold, a new auction is automatically posted.

Lasers4U store http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlasers4uQQhtZ-1

current module auction http://cgi.ebay.com/405nm-Laser-Module-Housing-with-Glass-Lens-Knurl-adjust_W0QQitemZ120497519726QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e363c6e

hope this helps

Pat
Ozzy Osbourne

Offline dtewksbury

• Milliwatts: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 03:13:22 pm »
Awesome, thanks Pat.

I actually bought another module from another seller. It has a glass lens, but it moves around a lot and produces a beam that is too large when collimated. I have to send it through an aperture to get the spot small enough for the mirrors, and that wastes so much of the available power. I will try the ones above.

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:26 am »
When it comes to solid state lasers, especially direct diode emitters, the cross sectional size of the beams starts out being the size of the surface of the crystal that radiates the photons. The absolute best you can hope for is to keep that beam that same size while it is projecting off into space. Actually that is pretty much impossible.

Column is the root word of columnating. It means to make the beam as much of a perfect parallel column of light as possible.

Divergence is the effect of the photons fanning out in 3D space. Convergence is the effect of the photons coming together into a tiny focal point. Both of these effects are all about the distance traveled.

James.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:56:39 am by James »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal