Author Topic: insignificant distance vs insignificant angle  (Read 10642 times)

Offline tribble

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
insignificant distance vs insignificant angle
« on: January 12, 2013, 07:54:12 pm »
While playing with the insignificant distance and insignificant angle settings, it looks like the insignificant angle test overrides the insignificant distance test. That is, if you have two points in the middle of a long line that are very close, say just a few dozen units apart, but form, say a 20 degree angle...

Code: [Select]

--------+
         \
          +--------

... the optimization code does not remove either of them.

Actually, what i think would be best in that case would be to replace both points with one point which is the average of their two positions subject to the maximum vector length, of course. I haven't looked at the action of the insignificant point code on its own, but it was a thought.

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: insignificant distance vs insignificant angle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:58:51 am »
I wrote most of the code several years ago. I fiddled with it a lot for a while after that. But lately I have not done much with it except fix a few bugs.

No one else has ever really looked into it in any detail and reported back to me. I'd be glad to go over any parts of it you want to explore.

I do know that many things have to be done to the cosecutive vertices in a specific order. If a different order is applied, you get very different results!

James.  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:00:44 am by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal