Author Topic: Is this possible in Laserboy?  (Read 9136 times)

Offline vide0n

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
Is this possible in Laserboy?
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:06:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to working with lasers and control, but I'm trying to do something a little bit different and I'm not quite sure if it's possible with Laserboy - at least not in the way I'm thinking of it. The way I understand Laserboy so far is that you sketch your patterns frame by frame, save/output as one of multiple formats and push this out to a laser through a DAC. (I do not yet have any laser hardware and have just installed this program an hour ago so I'm still working a lot out, I'm not even sure how to run a show! I'm just trying to save a few thousand dollars using the open source stuff.  :D )

In terms of patterns I'm not trying to do anything fancy, I'm just interested in a single line, and I'd like to change it's length over time. This is implemented in a straightforward way with a periodic looping animation that has the line growing and shrinking. What I would like to achieve is the ability to edit the framerate of this animation in real time - but it seems to me that the files may be output and shown at a particular rate, and that's that.

There seems to be a lot of helpful advice on the forum so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.  :D  I was hoping to run a very basic show where I could speed up some animations through some TCP/IP networking on a mobile device so I don't have to be at the terminal.  8)  If I'm unable to edit the framerate in real time I'm stuffed!

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: Is this possible in Laserboy?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:44:58 pm »
LaserBoy can be used to create animated frame sets. Those can be exported as ILDA to be imported into other laser apps or they can be exported as wave files such that the animation plays at a settable frames-per-second or each frame shown exactly once.

If you are a programmer, writing an app that opens the sound card DAC (/dev/dsp) in Linux is not at all difficult.

You could write your own sound card app with all kinds of custom features.

Could you explain a bit more about exactly what you want to accomplish?

James.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:47:51 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal