Author Topic: Totally new functions!  (Read 12381 times)

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Totally new functions!
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:54:08 pm »
A new new new newer version of LB is available!

http://laserboy.org/code/LaserBoy_2015_02_23.zip

I added a couple of new features and several new settings.

LB now does proximity based curve fitting (of a sort).

If you go into menu [Tab] system value settings, you can set option 2 insignificant distance. The default is 60.

This value has always been there for wave import normalization, but now it serves as a parameter for minimizing the loaded frame set.

If you look in menu h frame transforms, you'll see some new functions have been added and the key values are slightly different.

Option f fit to insignificant distance is the function itself. You can apply it to the art directly with the f key, and it is also included in the minimization process.

I have found that insignificant distance (in the [Tab] menu) can be set as high as option 3 max optimized lit vector in points with very nice results, depending on the art you apply it to.

For example, I can set option c rendered arc angle in degrees to something very small like 0.2 and then go into menu m render segments by coordinates and draw some really nice curvy math figures. The rendered arc angle determines how the curve is quantized into individual vertices. The smaller the arc step the more points there will be.

Then I can go into menu h and hit k to minimize and the points along the curve are reduced in number but the curve is still nicely fitted.

Be aware that using a high number for insignificant distance can really wreck art with a lot of small details.

Another function I just added is called conglomerate segments. It looks at all the lit segments in a frame to see of any of the ends meet. If so it glues those segments together into one continuous lit segment. If there are multiple segment ends that match, it looks at all of them and chooses the one that requires the least change in direction.

I have found that DXF imports can be all broken up into individual vectors in the wrong order, even though you might have drawn the image using POLYLINE.

This function will fix that.

It can be a very time consuming function when there are a lot of individual lit segments. The number of calculations it takes is exponentially related to how many items it has to sort.

In menu x system switch settings there are two new settings; 8 conglomerate in minimize and 9 fracture conglomerate. The first one tells LB whether it should use this function during minimization or not. The second one tells LB if it should fracture all of the segments into individual lit vectors before sorting them out and conglomerating them.

One other feature I added is in the u user interface visuals menu. Now you can choose to have the menu font with an opaque background. This makes it easier to read over a lot of detailed vector art.

James.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:56:25 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Flicker

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Totally new functions!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:34:19 pm »
I am looking for an explanation of the different laserboy effects.

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:22:42 am »
What do you mean by effects?

There are frame and frame set effects that you can call by name.

If you hit o to output, then 1 for ild and 4 for frame effect, you can type one of the names of effects that appear in a list on the right side of the screen.

This takes the frame that is currently in the view and creates an animation (ild frame set) by modifying the contents of this one frame.

A new ild file will be created in the ild folder of the same name as the effect.

Frame set effects can also be called on a whole frame set or two or more selected frames. You select a frame with the space bar, or a series of consecutive frames with the ( and ) keys on the first and last frame you want to select.

Hit o to output. 1 for ild and 5 for frame set effect. Again, look in the ild folder for an ild file of the same name as the frame set effect.

Sometimes you get better results if you optimize the frame or frame set before you apply an effect.

James.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:29:40 am by James »

Offline Flicker

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:15:57 am »
Thank You

I am unable to get the Laserboy ILD files to project. I have the Spensers 3D Laser. The projector seems to be running the files but none of the lasers turn on. The Spenser ild files that I mix in with Laserboy  ild files will work. I have been trying to figure this out but have been stumped. I have converted the files to type 0 and optimized. Also I set the palettes all to default. I have been able to create type 5 ild in IldaGen program and convert it to 0 and get it to project. I have also created an Ild of MSU Spartan logo using bmp2ild.  ???

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:16 am »
I just saw this post and took a quick look at the ild file.

I'll get back to you tomorrow, but it looks like there are a lot of unnecessary points in there!

James.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal