Author Topic: Exactly why this forum exists  (Read 122061 times)

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Exactly why this forum exists
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:09 pm »
Read the whole thread:
http://photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6747

02-17-2009
I am not sure if this is the kind of help he would be looking for, actually...

James doesn't have the latest document from ILDA either, seems to be unwilling to become an ILDA member, and seems to have some mental blocks about Format 4 and 5 (including an unwillingness to accept the history, that Format 4 and 5 pre-dated Format 3 by about six months, and that the modified header for Format 3 pre-dated LaserBoy by about two years)...

For official ILDA documentation, I think it is best to try ILDA first. I think that's the best approach. Otherwise it's like trying to get a GM service manual from the guy down the street, who owns a Ford...

Best regards,

William Benner

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:26:36 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline BlinkenLights

• he's just this guy, ya know?
  • Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 4
  • 'The Messenger' by Will Cascio
    • View Profile
Re: Exactly why this forum exists
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »
replied...

Offline Lazerjock

• Milliwatts: 8
  • Laser @ Universal Studios Fl Spiderman ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:39:52 am »
All I can say is WOW :o

They act like it's the secret to the universe. Just give the guy the info and be done with it. Why force him to become an ILDA member for one bit of info? That is rediculous.

I see he finally got what he asked for. I hope Blinken or James gave it to him.

P.S. Blinken, your Keeperx on PL right?

Offline BlinkenLights

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:18:48 am »
yes

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:18:30 pm »
There is a lot more to it than that.

"THEY" is really only Bill.

It started a long time ago when I was first getting into LaserBoy development.

Back in 2004 I met Matt Polack, who, at that time, was the chair of the ILDA Standards and Specifications Committee. He told me about format 3 (24 bit color) before it was ever published as a proposal.

I implemented format 3 in my code and waited for ILDA to publish the proposed extension.

When they finally published it, I announced on alt.lasers that LaserBoy was compliant with the new 24-bit standard.

Then I asked for some examples of 24-bit data from anyone else who might be working on it.

I got two files from Matt (via ILDA). I could not open them in my code. When I checked the published proposed extension to the ILDA format, it had been changed.

My persistent questions as to why it was changed have always been answered much the same way.

"You are not an ILDA member!"

That's not an answer.

Since the change made it very stupid and extra clumsy to write code around, format 3 fell out of favor and formats 4 & 5 were leveraged into place instead. This is even dumber than a busted format 3!

Bill has been using my questions and frustration about this matter to discredit my efforts ever since.

You are absolutely correct. It is not anything magic or even extra complicated. It is ONLY a matter of the order in which to store a bunch of numbers!

Bill consistently diverts attention away from the technically simple core of this issue.

He pins all of his contrary remarks on who did what when and the fact that even though he doesn't agree with this or that it isn't really up to him anyway because he is no longer a member of the tech committee. In other words, he uses pure political bullshit to NOT answer the simple question of ...

"Why would anyone do it like that?"

He presents his case in a way that separates him from any responsibility or position to fix it. Yet he is able to use it again and again (even in my absence) as a means of deriding my character and reputation.

What a guy!

James.  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:21:40 pm by James »

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 03:34:28 pm »
(from the ILDA website)

http://www.laserist.org/ethics.htm

Section 3. Statement of Code of Ethics

Members desire to promote cooperative, responsible and ethical application of laser display.

Members agree to conduct their business in a professional, ethical, safe and courteous manner, and to make a good faith effort to resolve any and all complaints made against them.

Members agree to respect the goals, desires and objectives of their clients.

Members agree to observe and obey any and all regulations governing the use of lasers in any country or area in which the member operates.

No member will knowingly take or receive credit for work done by another member or, through inaction, knowingly allow an incorrect credit to persist.

Members agree not to make inaccurate or misleading claims in advertising and/or promotion.

No member will knowingly make inaccurate or slanderous statements about any competitor or through silence lend credibility to statements made by others.

Members will not misrepresent their capabilities or the capabilities of the medium in general.

Members agree to keep privileged information obtained by reason of their position in ILDA confidential.

--------------------------------------------------

I am not and have never been a member of ILDA so I am not held to these ethics; even though I have not broken them.

Bill is a member of ILDA and is constantly advocating for new membership.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:26:15 pm by James »

Offline BlinkenLights

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:40:23 pm »
and this is why we have our OWN forum...

so lets stay away from bad mojo like this..

Offline aldeberan

• Milliwatts: -50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »
This will probably be my only post on this forum, but I just wanted to say something to James. James, I use to have a lot of respect and admiration for you, I knew of you before I ever knew of PL, however, after seeing what went down on PL and that it continues to occur here, all of it is lost. I also feel that your creating of this forum was a rather childish act, PL is in no way affiliated with ILDA. I myself, am in no way affiliated with ILDA and never will be.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest, I wish you the best in what you do and hope that Laserboy does well.

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:13:39 pm »
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I did nothing to provoke Bill's latest comments about me on the PL.

Furthermore, Bill did nothing to answer the question of the thread. He used the opportunity to reiterate his position with regard to ILDA and his disrespect for me.

If you are now asking yourself... Who does this guy think he is?... You have joined the wrong forum!  :o ::) ;) :D ;D >:( :P :-*

James.  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:03:38 am by James »

Offline BlinkenLights

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:12:49 am »
-1 Milliwatts for aldeberan..

Offline drlava

• Milliwatts: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 05:55:33 pm »
 signing up just to post that you have lost respect for someone is a pretty poor example of useful posting, and if that is all you will post then the straightforward conclusion is that the poster might be a poor example of a useful person.
Hopefully they are not a PL member!

I'll try to say something useful here:
I also feel that your creating of this forum was a rather childish act, PL is in no way affiliated with ILDA.
James had little choice but to leave PL.  The admin threatened deletion of ALL of his past posts if he did the slightest thing to aggravate the admin.  Being who James is, there is little doubt that at some point the admin would have gotten aggravated over SOMETHING, resulting in deletion of the archive of James' posts. 
If he wanted to preserve his arguments for old format 3, laserboy posts, and all of the useful posts he has made, he had to leave.

Creating this forum was not a childish act in the least, laserboy needed a forum because it's such a 'different' program, and the admin forced the issue that PL was not that forum.

Absolom

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:51:54 pm »
This will probably be my only post on this forum, but I just wanted to say something to James. James, I use to have a lot of respect and admiration for you, I knew of you before I ever knew of PL, however, after seeing what went down on PL and that it continues to occur here, all of it is lost. I also feel that your creating of this forum was a rather childish act, PL is in no way affiliated with ILDA. I myself, am in no way affiliated with ILDA and never will be.

Anyway, I just wanted to get that off my chest, I wish you the best in what you do and hope that Laserboy does well.

WTF???  Go through all the trouble to register just to say that???  This just reinforces why I came here instead of staying over at the corral with the cattle.  Though I haven't posted much, yet (been busy moving and haven't worked with lasers in minths) I came here to be with all my fellow free-thinkers and outcasts.  For someone to lose respect for James because of what he believes and all he has done, well, they respected him for the wrong reason to begin with.  All I have to say is, please let it be your only post and please go back to the ranch to beg for Bill's table scraps.  I would rather stay here where James and Hyena share the whole meal with everyone.

I have said my piece.  Thanks all for this place.

Offline meandean

• Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »
   Well, it looks like the drama from PL has spilled into the LB forum...
As for the purpose of this forum: it's all about the free presentation of ideas (and software) OUTSIDE of the mainstream!!!
By the way, who the hell is this 'aldeberan' idiot???
"Patience is for the dead."

Offline BlinkenLights

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:22:58 pm »
I think im gonna cry.....

in a good way.....

i is SOOO noce to see that there are actually people out there that get it...

I have alot of respect for DrLava and his wealth of knowledge and thank you (Drlava) for standing up for james, this forum , and myself (as the guy that set this place up.. mostly)

I would like the rest of the free thinkers to post in this thread, if for no other reason then to have a roll call of who is actually listening...

Absolom

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:28:01 pm »
Maybe this will make some people smile.  In a PM I sent to James, I had told him about my avatar (which he had asked about a while ago in another thread).  I told him that I had seen it years ago and wanted something unique for here.  I told him that it was somewhat symbolic.  The Wall in the graphic represents the cantankerous and stubborn organization which we call ILDA.  The fighting character in the graphic represents all of us here.  Namely all of us who don't like being force-fed something simply because it is "good for us".  Sorry, as long as everyone here exists, we will keep fighting the norm and make this hobby enjoyable for everyone.  Not just for those who have billions of dollars to spend on fancy laser DACs and memberships. 

Blinkin, I didn't realize that this forum was largely your construction, mea culpa!  Thank you again.  I have found a new home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal