Author Topic: Exactly why this forum exists  (Read 135251 times)

Offline drlava

• Milliwatts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Exactly why this forum exists
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 08:43:13 pm »
Rat on you? no way you're my 'bud' and fellow techie/supporter.  I was thinking if you PMed buffo or pango or something and 'got their goat'.  Besides I don't even know what I would have 'ratted' on you about.

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »
I didn't send anything to anyone that was insulting in any way.

Like I said. I kept it minimal.

I think I know where I stand with the people I really know about. I don't seek much conversation from others, except in general and in public.

I'd like to think I could have a pleasant phone conversation with just about anybody I'd care to PM.

James.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:36:46 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline drlava

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 09:48:13 pm »
yeah it's too bad really.  It's a good thing you and Alec started this forum.  Hopefully I can continue to post there and get good, non-Pfanboy feeback.  In the past I would have thought buffo would post something supportive concerning the OP but so far all he has posted in that thread was pro pango and negative about carmangary, and didn't even make a nod at me or the reason for the thread.
I still have hope though...

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:18 pm »
Just think how much easier it would have been if a responsible person from ILDA had engaged me in an intelligent conversation about the proposed, open-for-public-comment format 3 back in 2004, when they first posted any kind of 24-bit color proposal and I immediately asked them to explain why its section header needed to be different than all the others!

HA!

We would all have enjoyed 5 years of freely exchanging 24-bit color vector art in an open, (respectable), world-standard format.

Think of how much farther along the whole art form might be now!

Great job ILDA!

So far you have accomplished exactly what you've set out to do.

James.  :) ???
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:51:43 am by James »

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 12:22:12 am »
I hope that laser bloggers, in general, have one big melt-down and it all turns out to be gold!  ;D

I believe in doing things the right way!  ;D

I will be the first to step up and explain exactly what I think that is!  ;D

PS. I would like it to be known that as long as you are willing to associate your ID here with your ID at PL (at least with me) ANYONE is welcome to join this forum and / or this thread of conversation.

No. Screw that. EVERYONE is welcome to join this forum. You can sort yourselves out!  :) :o :P ::) ;) :D ;D :-*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:59:01 am by James »

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:55 am »
I just keep thinking.....

How far can you fuck-up the truth?  ??? :o ::) :D ;) ;D

PS ... wait for it... here it comes...
ILDA...IS...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...WEAK...THEY...LIE!!!The WEAK train!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:16:53 am by James »

Offline BlinkenLights

• he's just this guy, ya know?
  • Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 4
  • 'The Messenger' by Will Cascio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:24 am »
James let it go and stop ranting please.. oh wait wronf forum...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:21:23 am by BlinkenLights »

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 10:02:15 am »
I think that there is enough critical mass on this forum to drop the ILDA format and invent something new for ourselves if it would add value.  Spaghetti and Noodles could definitely use a smarter format because it mixes frames together and could benefit from extra information such as what is solid, transparent, etc.  It would allow for masking objects with other objects.

Example, imagine a green disc that appears as a green circle.  Next to it imagine a red disc that appears as a red circle.  When the two move to overlap, depending on configuration, different things could happen.  The red circle could hide the green circle from view or vice versa, or maybe instead of hiding each other, the colors combine within the circle.  So when the green goes over the red circle, instead of the red circle being hidden, it turns yellow.   Information such as Z-order, interior color (with alpha) would need to be known.  Designing something like that and then using it in all of our applications (LaserBoy, ILD SOS, Spaghetti, etc) would be a lot more productive than complaining about Format 3.  Format 3 is nothing but more of the same with extra colors. It doesn't really add much worth complaining about.

Offline BlinkenLights

• he's just this guy, ya know?
  • Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 4
  • 'The Messenger' by Will Cascio
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:01 am »
YES YES YES .. i was bitching about this last night.. NEW FORMAT..

AH-HA James.. Thats third party confirmation !!!!

Offline James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
There already IS another color vector art format!

It's called a LaserBoy wave!

But that doesn't instantly make it an International Standard!

Every time Bill makes a contrary remark about me or my opinion about the ILDA file format, EVERY other ILDA member who knows anything about it and remains silent, is breaking his own code of ethics.

No member will knowingly make inaccurate or slanderous statements about any competitor or through silence lend credibility to statements made by others.

By allowing Bill to be the unchallenged voice of ILDA they might as well ALL be Bill.

If format 3 had been openly discussed and un-screwed back in '04 when it was first proposed, that would have mathematically eliminated all of this other political bullshit.

Patrick Murphy used to say all the time "there are only so many 'right ways' of doing something".

Bill

Let me add to that idea...

You are guaranteed never find the 'right way' if you are intentionally avoiding it!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:28:25 pm by James »

Offline meandean

• Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 02:49:50 pm »
I was hoping that someone out there other than James and I would be interested in 'laser formatted' wave...
"Patience is for the dead."

Offline Fanny Pack

• Milliwatts: -20
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »
I haven't heard of anything that makes a laser formatted wav file better than an ILDA file as far as my application is concerned.  I'm thinking of something that brings new functionality, not just the same functionality but in a different file format.  Format 5 already gives us XYRGB and that is the native format of all the DACs I deal with.  So, I can't see any benefit in using a WAV file.... at least for what I am doing.

Offline drlava

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 03:48:12 pm »
The primary benefit I see in wav is built-in audio synchronization and more channels for more colors or other things.  It can also contain information for reversing effects like color offset that have been applied to the wav. Finally it's (obviously) very compatible with audio dacs.  There are many things it can't do though.

Absolom

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 03:52:22 pm »
I gotta ask...  Is Hyena's avatar a dead pangolin???  If it is, I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Offline meandean

• Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 03:53:09 pm »
 The wave format allows inclusion of plenty of non-audio info in the header, channel 6 can serve many purposes to include Z, the color channels only use the top 9 out of 16 bits allowing for the inclusion of subcode in the lowest bits (end of frame marks, unique frame and other features that James is adding in) without significantly affecting the final color DAC output. Channels 7 & 8 are normally for music, but they could serve other purposes as well.
"Patience is for the dead."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal