Author Topic: Teensy Laser Control  (Read 5972 times)

Offline TheHermit

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
Teensy Laser Control
« on: January 17, 2022, 01:24:22 am »
Howdy LaserHeads!
Was researching how to mod a Teensy 8 channel audio card with DC coupling and stumbled upon a post by Laserboy, which led me here.
I've just modified a couple of 3 watt RGB projectors for wall mounting in my living room and am currently in the process of developing my own controller, with a few twists.
At the moment, I have a Teensy 3.6 and a stereo audio DAC outputting cycloids (nice that I need not define the term) to my o'scope. The T3.6 generates 4 quadrature wave waveform generators, mixed together into X/Y outputs. The T3.6 connnects to an akai APC40mkii and Cakewalk DAW via usbMIDI.
But, here's the part y'all might find interesting. there's a new 8 channel audio DAC PCB for the T4.x, which I just ordered from;
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/gVFy0fWQ
My plan is to ditch my ED3 DACs, LSX Basic, and my showcards, then install a T4.1 + 8 channel audio DAC inside each projector and control them via Cakewalk and my own MIDI desk.
Yeah, I know that swamidog and Andrew already built The Radiator. But, AFAIK it doesn't interface with a DAW and is only capable of outputting to a single projector (w/o daisy chaining). Sorry, swamidog. I love your work, but IMHO that's a deal breaker for multiple projectors.
Anyway, just thought I'd say, "Hello." to the 'hood' and share what I'm up to for your interest and feedback.
Kindest regards to everyone!
 8)

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: Teensy Laser Control
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 03:35:01 pm »
Hello Hermit!
Welcome to the LaserBoy Forum.
We should have a chat. I'd like to know more about what you know!
James.
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline TheHermit

• Milliwatts: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 03:03:54 pm »
Well, Howdy, James!
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I didn't receive an email notification an just noticed it on my return here.
"We should have a chat. I'd like to know more about what you know!"
Great, but I'm afraid that, compared to you level of laser knowledge, what I know is slim pickings. :-)
Since my post, I noticed that the Teensy 3.6 has 2 DAC out GPIOs, in addition to the quad audio DACs. So that gives me the 5 XYRGB audio line outputs that I need for a projector.
The Teensy 4.x doesn't have those DAC GPIOs and the T4.x audio DACs can't be piggybacked for 4 channel audio. So, it is strictly limited to the 8 channel TDM audio DAC, which is an unpopulated PCB with SMD components.
So, I went to PRJC's store to order more 2 more T3.6s w/4 * audio DACs, only to discover that they are out of T3.6s. :-X  Fortunately, there were still some available on Amazon. So, hopefully, I'll be able to get all 3 projectors happening. PRJC's site says that they don't know when more T3.6s will be available.
Now, I'm looking for an audio line out to differential circuit/board for standard ILDA inputs into my projectors. I've seen the ILDA standard schematics, plus lots of threads discussing lots of mods, which have only muddied the waters. Ideally, I would like to simply jumper the audio shield's output caps, then run jumpers to a 5 channel differential output/ILDA standard circuit board. Looks like you might have what I need, but haven't found your product page for purchasing, yet.
Just ordered the Teensy Synth front panel and control board from inpublic.space for my control desk prototype. It's T4 based and has multiplexers on the control board, which I'll need, anyway. The front panel will serve for temporary prototyping, but I have very different plans for the final MIDI controller.
! Analog pots will be replaced with software defined RGB LED lit pushbutton/rotary encoders. Color indicates the encoder's current 'level'.
! Push buttons will be replaced with software defined RGB LED backlit pushbuttons to indicate the buttons' status and/or functionality.
! A 5" Nextion touchscreen will be used for OSC gain sliders, plus a multipage GUI functionality to reconfigure the controls' definitions for the desk. (With only 2 hands and 10 (really only 4 usable) fingers, why have 100 knobs, button arrays, and sliders, right? Simply select the 'bank' of currently desired controls and play away. Hopefully, all of these functions can be controlled from Cakewalk's DAW, as well.
! I also have a 17" multitouch monitor for directly controlling Cakewalk's MIDI track slider gains for each channel or groups of channels.
I'm loving the vision and can't wait to see it all actually happening. Currently waiting for the Teensy 3.6s + audio shields to arrive, plus the parts for the custom Teensy MIDI controller.
Already have the quad waveform generators, MIDI communications, and Cakewalk interfaces happening for proof of concept. Just need to flush out the Arduino sketch, add some differential ILDA converters, and build a custom MIDI controller to replace the Akai APC40. ~ 6 months away from project completion, IMHO.
A link to your product page and whatever insights you may have would be most appreciated, James.
BTW, I enjoyed your Laserboy YT tutorials.
 8)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:12:48 pm by TheHermit »

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 01:13:53 am »
You don't understand what you think of as (your own) common sense is actually extremely specific, self-taught and rare.

I am very good at the things I have pursued for decades.

Don't assume I know everything around the edges. I really don't. As a matter of fact, my narrow focus on what I know sometimes makes it just that much more difficult to grasp outside concepts.

But I must say that I have learned so much by engaging with other people who are interested in what I am doing and want to use it to do what they envision as their next thing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:39:57 am by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal