Author Topic: ILDA is over  (Read 81359 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline meandean

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 466
  • Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 12:30:44 am »
Quote
PLEASE EXPLAIN the merits of the 16-byte section header and how it is so much better than the standard 32-byte section header that precedes every other section.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!


 It's real simple... Someone on the Committee thought that it was time for a clean break (that's what format codes are for); to
'get with the program' of other formats like WAVE that allow for easy skipping past unknown sections without having to fish blindly for
the next 'ILDA' because they define a package size in bytes... The fact that the section header is only 16 bytes makes sense because you don't need the extra fields for company name and frame name because it's just a freaking color list for each frame, and that info is already in the fmt 0 or 1 coordinate data.
 
 For all we know, a format code 9 might contain the periodic table of the elements- skip past it.
 
 As it is, LaserBoy blows up when presented a format code 6....
 
 Maybe I'm just a dumbass hillbilly here, but I think a man should be smarter than the machine that he's sitting in front of.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:39:46 am by meandean »
"Patience is for the dead."

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 12:43:32 am »
What a dick.

Format 9 is obviosuly out of the spec.

So what?

LaserBoy is actively developed!

Let me know when I need to identify a format 9!

The only reason format 3 exists is to supplement the existence of formats 0 or 1.

So why would it take a different section header?

And why would formats 4 & 5 take the same old section header?

It makes no sense other than to say because that's the way ILDA wanted to do it!

DUH!

James.  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 12:46:47 am by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline meandean

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 466
  • Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:24 am »
Quote
Format 9 is obviosuly out of the spec.

So what?

 Huh? format 9 isn't even defined yet, and you don't get that.
 
 Format 2 is just a color table, vs a vector storage format- it was a NEW thing introduced later, using a NEW format code, under
the umbrella of the .ild extension.
 
 The last proposal for format 3 looks workable to me, I'm not sure why ILDA dumped it.
 
 And you still haven't explained why LB chokes on fmt 6...
"Patience is for the dead."

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 01:53:01 am »
It makes no sense to judge an application by throwing crap at it.

If you expect LaserBoy to read garbage, then I guess it fails.

So what?

I'll make a special effort to create bogus files, just like you did, so that I can write code to get through it.

Just for you Dean!

You still offer no reason why a color table should have a different section header.

Just because is not good enough.

James.  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:56:09 am by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
  • Milliwatts: -20
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 06:56:54 am »
LOL.  My only response to you is:  You're an asshole.

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:44 pm »
Thanks Gary for all of your technical expertise and the help you offer to others on this forum.

James.   :)
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
  • Milliwatts: -20
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 06:12:50 am »
I'm not sure Gary,
Well let me confirm if for you.
 
Quote
.......... But I think you think I'm an asshole.
Why?

Can you or anyone else come up with a logical reason?
Just general concensus.  You have no respect for others.

Quote
Or is it just because I don't go along with the obvious stupid reaction?
No, it is because you whine like a kid and insult people when you don't get your way.  Notice how you use the word "stupid" in your reply?  That sums it up.  To you, everyone else is stupid.  Only you have it right.  You're an asshole.

Quote
You think you are a decent programmer, Gary. You are NOT.

You are out of the loop. You don't know math for shit.
I am not sure why you even said that.  It is isn't relevant to anything having to do with your ILDA rant or this discussion.  Next thing you will tell me I don't know anything about Karmann Ghias.
 
Quote
There is a better way and you couldn't find it to save your life!
Are you talking about me now or you and the LaserBoy user interface? 
 
Quote
You never fail to disappoint me.
Well, yea, sorry, but I don't write DOS apps anymore.  I have bills to pay.

Quote
Good for you again!
Absolutely, it means I am have not been influenced by your insanity.

Quote
Notice: YOU, Gary, The Asshole, have NOT been banned from this forum.
You can if you want.  Really, you can.  But then you would miss my wonderful drive-bys and you wouldn't get a chance to insult me.  I know you love doing that since it makes you feel like a man... which is something that you don't know a lot about.

Quote
Have you nothing better to say?
Um, you're a dick?

Quote
I don't force myself into places where I am obviously not wanted.
You're right.  I'm sure all of those calls to Patrick Murphy were by invitation.  Or asking someone to post a link to your webpage on the PL forum was because everyone wanted to hear what was up with James.  Or... well, you get the picture.  But, you said "force yourself".  I guess technically you didn't really force anything.  But then again, neither have I.  In fact, people requested that I post there.

Quote
Why am I not wanted?
Because talking to you is unpleasant.  Something I realized exactly the first time you ever called me years ago.  It was apparent without ever even mentioning my philosophy on anything that you were delusional in the way you think Microsoft and ILDA is evil.  It was apparent that you had no idea of how to write a usable computer program when you told me I had to run LaserBoy on a Linux box on one computer while running the GUI on a completely different computer.   WTF dude?!?! Who taught you about usability?  Luckily I enlightened you with a fine Microsoft (free) Virtual PC program that allowed you to at least run that crap on a single PC.  And then, after I had Spaghetti up and running on my own you had the nerve to call me again and ask me to collaborate with you and add it to LaserBoy so that it would be an awesome program.  I was nice to you and when I declined but I was laughing my ass off the whole time thinking how stupid of an idea it was and annoyed at how arrogant you were to think I would pur something useful like Spaghetti into a glorified, hell, it isn't even glorified, DOS paint program.

Quote
Prove me wrong!
No, you prove yourself right.  Prove to anyone why it has been worth your time and all the hype over what amounts to 16 bits that you could have worked around in about 15 seconds.  Prove you still can't have the concept of palettes in the current ILDA 4/5 spec even though they are not themselves in the ILDA file. Prove why it makes any kind of sense to have a format such a 3 that writes out all of the points in one frame and then writes out all of the colors in another instead of combining them into a single structure (which is just common sense to any programmer that has actually been in the industry for some time).  Prove it.  You can't without begging the question.  You're answer is "Because I am James and I like generic C++ wah wah wah and because I thought of it first blah blah blah".  In other words, you are an asshole and refuse to compromise with what others think is right.


Quote
ANYONE !!! ? ???
You would never accept anything said as proof.  Until someone invents a time machine and takes you back in time you will never accept what people say.  So, it is not worth even trying.  The only thing I can definitely prove is that you are an asshole.

Quote
PLEASE explain to me and everyone else how Bill was right all this time and I was wrong!
Who cares?  The ONLY important thing is that Format 3 was NEVER adopted.  And never will.  Even if by some weird stretch of reality, you were deemed to be king of Format 3, no one would use it or want to use it.  Because it sucks.

Quote
PLEASE EXPLAIN how I am mentally ill for seeing that format 3 does not require a unique section header!
I am not a psychiatrist so I can't diagnose you.  But, if you visit one and explain things I am sure he might give you some medication.  As for the section header.  It was probably a mistake.  But not one that couldn't be worked around.  It takes 15 seconds to work around it in code.  Is that worth alienating yourself and becoming the biggest asshole in laser history?  You made the choice and you chose to be an asshole.

Quote
PLEASE EXPLAIN the merits of the 16-byte section header and how it is so much better than the standard 32-byte section header that precedes every other section.
No merits.  Like I said, probably a mistake.  Or maybe they just thought you were an asshole and wanted to spite you.  If it was a mistake.  You could have just worked around it and stopped being an asshole.  If they did it because you were an asshole... well, that only proves my case that you are an asshole.  So, did they do it on purpose?  You claim they did?  I think that proves my case if you agree with me.

Quote
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!
Your wish has been granted.

Quote
Otherwise.......... APOLOGIZE! And then Shut The FUCK UP.  :-X 8)
Well, I do apologize to everyone else for my ugly language.  I usually don't like saying things like that.  But, well, you're an asshole.

James.  :)

Quote
PS. Maybe you should ban yourself again.... I won't ban you for being an idiot, but I won't miss you if you just never post again.
Yes, I know.  It's like that movie... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!  So, that's why you don't like me here.
 
Quote
Loser!  >:(
That was very Napolean Dynamite of you.  Nice parting touch.

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 02:08:27 pm »
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  %)

I must be a very important person to you for you to spend so much time writing all that crap.

It's equaly amazing that you would come on to my own forum to write it.

If you're so over and above all of this, why do you go so far out of your way to make such a point to someone who obviously will never see it your way?

Go back to the PL and stay there. You all deserve each other!

You don't bring anything good to this forum.

As for some of the other comments I read from the PL thread listed above, I'll clear up a bit of confusion. I normally don't directly quote personal emails, but this time I think I will. These are excerpts from whole emails.

James wrote:
I'd like to know how you can acknowledge the   elements of the story that you know to be true; most notably the vandalized   document itself, and explain this situation any other way.  Why is it there? Why was it not fixed when I posted   my rebuttal?

Adam wrote:
(omitted rambling....)

Embarrasment? Shame? Refusal to admit a mistake? Resentment that someone outside the organization was trying to tell them what to do? Any number of reasons, really. The point is that none of this proves malicious intent. A better question might be: instead of trying to get ILDA to change (which obviously wasn't working), why didn't you just add support for both formats to LaserBoy? Then the issue would have been settled 6 years ago.

James wrote:
Why didn't I just do format 3 the way ILDA posted it? Because they destroyed it. It has been removed from use. I show you absolute proof of my claim and your best counter argument is that I must be in need of mental health counseling. You have NEVER taken a sensible, accurate, technical stand in this argument. You can't! You have always attacked ME PERSONALLY.

"Embarrasment? Shame? Refusal to admit  a mistake? Resentment that someone outside the organization was trying to tell them what to do? Any number of reasons, really."
 
That is the most reasonable thing you have ever written. Is that the position that an international trade association should take on this or any other matter that is as connected to the core of its own existence as this? Providing standards is what ILDA does. So you, as an unassuming ILDA member, are OK with this? Is this why you pledged to uphold the mission statement and the code of ethics? Good for you!

Adam wrote:
I told you James, I'm done with this. Further conversation serves no purpose other than to feed your ego, and I will no longer indulge you. Goodbye.

James wrote:
Embarrasment? Shame? Refusal to admit a mistake? These are all ego driven flaws! Sounds like you! Why don't you ask your family to read my story thus far and explain it to you. You are a coward.

It was during a phone conversation that he blurted out that I must think I'm "The Jesus Christ of Lasers!" Which I think is just plain hilarious!

So now, he finally understands that the use of the 16-byte garbage section header is clearly wrong AND he admits to a bad motive and total lack of respect for common sense engineering on the part of ILDA..... But I'm still an egomaniac! What a guy! I would say that this exchange qualifies as "Classic Buffo!"

Now he's talking about officially un-inviting me to SELEM. What a way to prove my point!

And you just gotta' love Bill's posting of a personal email I sent to him. GOOD GAWD! He posts that email to a public forum where he knows I will not be able to respond. Could he have made my point any clearer? Thanks Bill! Once again, YOU are my best advocate when it comes to bringing all of these issues into the light of day!

James.  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:54:36 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
  • Milliwatts: -20
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »
My only point is that you are an asshole.  The rest is just jibber jabber.  There is only one thing to take out of this entire thread and that is:   You are an asshole.

Offline Fanny Pack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
  • Milliwatts: -20
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 04:37:04 pm »
Also, I am pretty certain Buffo had absolutely nothing to do with anything related to format 3.  So basing any conclusion based on your conversation with him is stupid.  In fact, even mentioning it and putting him in a negative light for it only shows the same thing:  You are an asshole.

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 05:10:05 pm »
I have no respect for anyone who takes a stand against something that I know is true and can easily be proved. At some point, most people realize when they have made a mistake. But some people make a point of creating a super strong emotional commitment to a completely irrational idea.

The actual matter is done.

I have had it out with the top three executives of ILDA and it is officially what it is.

All of them recognize the 16-byte sections header is garbage.

That is what I've been saying for all these years.

The only disagreement now is what to do about it.

ILDA chose to continue to ignore me.

That doesn't make me wrong.

And not everyone in the world thinks I'm an asshole for it;

just a few people who can't see common sense over their own stupid egos.

James.  :)
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
  • Milliwatts: -20
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 05:36:08 pm »
Normally when I call someone crazy I don't really mean it.  But in your case, I actually do think you have a mental illness.  I knew a guy like you who eventually took an assault rifle and started shooting people because he thought everyone was out to get him.  His name is Wendel Williamson.  Look him up.  Maybe visit him in the mental institution.  You need help dude or you are going to hurt someone or yourself.

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 05:57:15 pm »
You seem to be quite obsessed with hating me. Right now I must be the most important thing in your life.

That's just sad.

James.  :)
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline Fanny Pack

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 645
  • Milliwatts: -20
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 06:38:18 pm »
Not really.  I am pretty much all into my '79 Cutlass Cruiser at the moment.  I have been working on it a lot lately and the service manual is a PDF on my computer.  So, as I chill out from being elbow deep in grime and checking torque specs from the manual I see what nonsense you have to say.  If I am so inclined, or if I have some time to kill before the carb dip times out I'll post something.  Right now, I am drinking some wine after a nice dinner and working on the Cruiser all day.  Its running really awesome right now.  I'll probably drive it to SELEM and might even just sleep in the back instead of getting a hotel.  Depends on the weather.  In short, no, you aren't the most important thing in my life.  More like filler for when I have nothing else going on.

Offline James

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2129
  • Milliwatts: 47
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: ILDA is over
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 06:43:10 pm »
Try masturbating. It's much more rewarding.

James.  :)
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal