Author Topic: My First Projector  (Read 11769 times)

Offline meandean

• Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
My First Projector
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:38:11 pm »
 cfavreau was kind enough to give me an old projector (thanks Chris!!!). I'm hoping to build it up into something new!
It looks like much of the ground floor material is there (including scanners); I just need a little help from the experts as
to choice of laser diodes, mirrors and such...

Dean
"Patience is for the dead."

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
Re: My First Projector
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:17 pm »
If you want to make a real RGB projector, which I assume you do, you will need two special mirrors that are called dichroic glass. These are a bit like electronic low pass filters (sort-of). I have three in my projector, but that's because I'm weird and I wanted violet in there as are a fouth color (pretty much a useless novalty). Anyway... One of them passes light above red like a piece of clear glass but it reflects red like a mirror. The other one is also a high pass and it passes below blue (red + green)  but it reflects like a mirror at blue. These things are typically round and about 25mm in diameter. I think I got mine for about $30 each. But you need mounts for them too, I paid $150 for both the mounts and the dichros. I would have to say I got a pretty good deal cause I got mine from a guy who already had them in the USA. The ones I've seen that are in the USA are more expensive and the cheaper deals on the same ones seem to cost a lot to ship from out of the country. You don't really need a conventional first surface mirror for the green but your projector frame might well be outfitted and set up for one as this makes it much easier to align. The idea is that the beams are combined at 90 degree angles. The green goes straight through the first mirror and the red bounces off of it from 90 degrees to one side, the green and the red come together into one beam. This bean goes straight through the next dichro and the blue bounces off of one side at 90 degreens from the straight beam, this is the combination of all three and that's what hits your galvo mirrors. There are other possible combinations of these things, but what I have is very common. It works and it's what I have.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:50:09 pm by James »
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

Offline meandean

• Milliwatts: 13
  • It's about sight AND sound.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:23:17 pm »
you will need two special mirrors that are called dichroic glass. These are a bit like electronic low pass filters (sort-of).

I thought that dichros were more like notch filters that reflect a narrow band of wavelengths, while passing all others...
"Patience is for the dead."

Offline James

• Administrator
  • Milliwatts: 47
    • View Profile
    • LaserBoy !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:25 am »
That may be true of some of them, but not for any of the ones I have. They work as I described.
LaserBoy is Sofa King Cool!
But it will never be Alpha King Done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal